Pages

June 13, 2008

Lesson Learned

My mom had warned me about putting Ava in the back part of a shopping cart but the more Ava fusses about riding in one, the more I gave in. Today, I found out what she was talking about. We were in Target and I couldn't get Ava to sit on her fanny. I was being careful but I guess not careful enough. I was pushing slowly but when I went from the tile to the carpet and hit that bump, Ava flipped backwards out of the buggy. I felt like I was watching in slow motion but I couldn't get to her fast enough. She landed on her head and back. I scooped her up so fast. She didn't cry at first but when she did, wow! She was stiff and scared at first so I got her to follow my finger to make sure she could move her head and neck. Another mom just stood there staring at me. I felt like the worst mom in the world at that moment. After lots of hugs and kisses and a bag of fruit snacks, she stopped crying. On the way out, she said, "mommy Ava fell. Ava ok." I think I was more traumatized than she was. I have been a basket case all day. We met Kevin for lunch because we just needed family time. I know it was a small thing but it could have been worse. Thankfully, her head hit on the carpet part so she has a knot and carpet burn on her forhead. When my neice was 6 mo. old and fractured her skull from a fall, the doctor told my sister that most of the injuries he sees like that are caused from falling out of carts. So, lesson learned. Later in the day, I asked Ava if she was ok and she said, " ok mommy. sit on fanny." I guess she learned her lesson too.

On a lighter note, we took Ava to her first movie at the theatre Wednesday. I couldn't believe how behaved she was. She sat through the whole Bee Movie and I enjoyed getting to hold her and get snuggles.

Yesterday was Kenley's 7th bday party at Build A Bear. Ava thought she was 7 too and was doing everything the other kids did. Whoever came up with build a bear was just brilliant...and is laughing all the way to the bank.

1 comment:

  1. OMG - Moms and Dads have lots of lessons learned along the way. Thankfully we have God's grace!! I had a "fall off the bed" moment when I turned my head for literally a split second. Ellie cried for 5 minutes, I cried for 3 hours. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete